Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Everything you need to know about nutrition if your just starting out.

       Everything I knew about nutrition was wrong. Well actually I knew nothing of nutrition. My mother was raised on Irish American diet. It was heavy in starches and carbs. And the sugar, so much desert.
       She loved to cook until she became seriously obese after she had me in 1981, the year they found the Glycemic Index. If you don't know how the GI works definitely look at the info. I wont go into all of it but the basic knowledge of it is the GI measures how a carbohydrate containing food raises blood glucose. If that food raises your glucose levels to fast and to often you gain visceral fat. VERY BAD. Visceral fat acts like an organ and releases toxins making you T.I.R.E.D. among many other horrible things to your body.
        I started feeling different after my first child. I was still eating everything my mother taught me to eat, tons of starchy potato dishes, tons of pasta, and tons of cheese and sugar. I was starting to get headaches all the time. Depression was starting to be a problem. Also my arms started to look like mens arms. None of this connected for me because I didnt have someone to tell me I was eating wrong. This is what was available and what I loved to eat!
       Now I slowly am finding out that if I want to feel good some big changes need to happen and it was daunting at first because I was doing everything wrong. I couldnt do what I liked to do anymore like biking and playing with my children beacause I had no energy. If I only knew what all those cupcakes and pasta dishes were doing to my brain and organs I could have made some changes sooner.
       What I now know took a long time to find out. It would have been alot easier if I would have learned it from childhood but I am glad I took the time to find out what to do. So I now know that I have to eat well to feel well.

Drink water, slowly throughout the day. If you down it all at once it will go straight through you.

Go all natural! The more you find out what you should eat and recipies that you hav'nt grown up with the better you will start to feel.(Pinterest has amazing clean food)

Search engine key words to find healthy recipes cant be found by just typing in "healthy recipes" alot of websites use that as a key word to just get you to there website.  Find body building and excercise websites and blogs and they usually have actual healthy recipes. Some good key words are clean food, paleo food, GI recipes,


Now MOVE! Find a new interest because if you have a passion that you master it will give you lifelong happiness.
This was about a year ago. I would eat so much sugar. Not the good fructose kind the bad sucrose kind. I found a good alternative. It is agave nectar.  So many ways to use it to sweeten things instead of buying food with the bad sugar already in it. Like unsweetened Greek yogurt with it drizzled on top than fruit and granola. Perfect breakfast. Or pancakes made with almond flour and use the agave as syrup. The agave is better for your body because it doesn't rush into your blood stream.



I am doing a bit better in this pic you can't tell but I am 10 lbs lighter. I have recently lost another ten on BodyRock.com  and I am running up to 5 miles now. It seems that when I eat clean I can just keep on running. I used to get cramps or start to have muscle pain. Not now, I can not wait to post my after photos. Not quite there yet though.

No comments:

Post a Comment